Petroleum Service Corporation (PSC) was founded in 1952 by Derryl H. Haymon in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The company was the first to provide Coast Guard–licensed personnel to load and unload tank barges on the Mississippi River and other inland waterways. These men were known as “tankermen,” and PSC was the country’s first “tankerman service.” PSC remains the oldest and largest tankerman service in the U.S.
In the 1960s, PSC begin providing other product-handling services to major oil refineries, chemical plants, and storage terminals. Today the Company operates at dozens of sites throughout the industry. Our 2,000+ employees handle a wide variety of refined products, chemicals, fertilizers, and plastics. We are leaders in dock operations, railcar and truck loading and unloading, warehouse and tank farm operations, rail switching, and other activities involving site logistics, product movement and facility operations.
In 2004, PSC was acquired by the SGS Group, the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. PSC has retained its management team and prior owners, and today operates as a division of SGS North America, Inc.
At SGS Petroleum Service Corporation, our mission
is to be a company whose employees are proud of the reputation they have earned, strong in their commitment to be the best at what we do, and optimistic about the future.